2018 is coming to an end. It’s been a year full of ups and downs for the LGBT community (and the rest of the world, to be honest), but let’s focus on 18 iconic pop culture moments that made 2018 into 20gayteen.
- Hayley Kiyoko coming up with the term “20gayteen”
Thank you, Lesbian Jesus.
- Miss Vanjie… Miss Vanjie… Miss Vanjie!!!
Season 10 of Rupaul’s Drag Race was good, but would have been nothing without MISS VANJIE!!
- Brockhampton releasing gay merch. Literally.
It obviously all sold out in minutes.
- Queer Eye blessing our screens
And it’s already been renewed for a third season. The power of the Fab Five!
- Janelle Monaé’s Pynk. That’s all.
An ode to vaginas? We have to stan.
- Britney Spears performing at Brighton Pride
Moving was impossible and getting to Brighton was a struggle, but at least the Queen herself was there.
- First ever openly gay K-Pop idol’s debut
For those of you who don’t know, K-Pop idols have to follow some very strict rules. Most of them aren’t even allowed to date, never mind be openly homosexual. Holland is Korea’s first openly gay idol, and he’s releasing music without the support of any of the main entertainment companies. He made his debut with a song called I’m Not Afraid, which is quite fitting.
- America’s first professional transgender boxer won his first pro fight
Patricio Manuel was competing as a woman for a decade, and after coming back to the ring as a male boxer, he won against Hugo Aguilar. Here’s to many more wins!
- We finally had a MASSIVE teen movie in cinemas, which was about a gay love story.
Yaaaassss Love, Simon!
- Courtney Act won Celebrity Big Brother.
And then became the host of The Bi Life! What a queen.
- SO many celebrities came out.
Alyson Stoner, Reece King, Kevin McHale, Amandla Stenberg, Brendon Urie, Kehlani and so many more.
- Speaking of Kehlani… Our queer angel is having a baby. And the dad’s bisexual!
The singer surprised everyone with her pregnancy in October.
- There was a lesbian wedding in a mainstream cartoon!
Steven Universe’s creator knew it would be important for queer representation and visibility—and aren’t Ruby and Sapphire the cutest?
- Harry Styles’ world tour
He went on tour and spent pretty much every night dancing with rainbow flags, showing his support to the community, and saying things such as, “I mean we’re all a little bit gay, aren’t we?”
- Queer superheroes!!
Hi, Teenage Warhead and Yukio. You’re cute.
- She-Ra and the Princess of Power
Netflix’s She-Ra reboot features a same-sex couple, and they’re canon! What else would you expect from highly-acclaimed queer showrunner Noelle Stevenson?
- The number of LGBT characters on TV reached a record high
- Pansexual became one of Merriam-Webster’s words of 2018
If this doesn’t define 20gayteen, what does?
What a ride. What was your favourite moment of 20gayteen? And are you ready for 20biteen?